Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Date with Kate

Today, we all had "date afternoon" - this is kind of like "date night" but instead of going out to dinner and a movie with each other, Josh and I each took a kid out to do something special one on one.  I took Kate out and Josh took Maya.  Sadly, I don't think (or can't remember) ever doing anything with Kate when Maya isn't around except when Kate wakes up from her nap earlier than Maya. 

Josh took Maya out to lunch for pizza and then to a ski resort where they walked around.  Kate and I had a nice relaxed lunch at home, spent some time out on the driveway running around and playing with snow and then headed out to get coffee (me) and steamed milk (Kate) at a local cafe.  It was so much fun hanging out with just Kate - and, oh my, so much easier to have just one toddler to deal with.  Kate sat peacefully in the high chair, drank her milk and then happily ran around the cafe and waved at everyone.  We then walked around downtown - without a stroller!  I just let Kate walk around on her own and followed her to make sure she didn't run into traffic or get into something she shouldn't be in.  She just loved the freedom - something that is very difficult to do when there are two of them.  (Even when there are two adults, it's quite difficult to let two 15 month olds have free rein because inevitably they will run in opposite directions and unless we want to all get split up, we have to keep them in the same vicinity.)  Kate then fell asleep in the car (she skipped her morning nap), and I didn't have to worry about what to do with one kid who is awake and wants to get home and one who is asleep and needs to keep sleeping.  I just drove out to a local reservoir and watched it snow and listened to the radio while Kate snoozed.  All in all, it was a pretty perfect first date with Kate. 

Josh and I both realize that we really need to split the girls up more than we have been doing.  It's fun for everyone and  it lets both girls develop a relationship with each of us independent of her twin.  So, hopefully next weekend I can have a fun date with Maya.  I can't wait!

No comments: