Tuesday, November 2, 2010

More random ramblings...

Kate has hit some sort of developmental milestone and suddenly is talking clearly and coherently.  For a long time, she struggled to form words and I was the only one who could understand her.  This made her very frustrated and I think contributed to a bit of crankiness.  Now that she figured out how to enunciate she's like a ray of sunshine - a very talkative ray of sunshine.  She wakes up talking and keeps it up all day long with barely a pause for a breath.  "This is mama's phone, not Kate's phone.  Maya's jumping.  Mama's sitting.  Daddy's making toast.  Ow, hot toast! Careful! That's Mama's kitchen, this is Kate's kitchen.  No climb on couch - big owie."  Etcetera, etcetera.  It's very cute and it makes her so happy that we finally understand what she's saying.  It also makes me realize how much they both understand and how good their memories are.

Kate has also taken to stripping down naked, ripping her diaper off and then running around screaming "BUCK NAKED!".  For some reason, she doesn't seem to get cold and I figure it helps with potty training, so I guess I don't care.

Maya has evolved into a slightly more reticent and thoughtful toddler.  She loves her puzzles and books and can spend long periods of time playing with a toy.  She doesn't talk as much as Kate does these days - probably because she can't get a word in edgewise.  She's been having trouble sleeping at night and wakes up howling "MOOOOMMMMY!" several times a night.  I'm not sure what the issue is, but I'm hoping it gets resolved soon.  Our friends just gave the girls "pillow-petp" for their birthdays (it's a pillow AND a pet) and I'm hoping that Maya will bond with hers and it will comfort her enough at night that she doesn't need me.

We had a great Halloween.  The girls had their first lollipop which was the highlight of their week.  Maya keeps asking hopefully for "more pops?"  Maya was totally fascinated by the Halloween parade we participated in on Friday and they both loved "trick-o-treating".

No comments: