Sunday, November 1, 2009

Food

Sometimes I feel like I spend a majority of my day thinking about, preparing, serving, eating, and cleaning up food. I guess this is the way it's been for parents - and usually mothers - since we were hunting and gathering. Though, I doubt the hunter/gatherer mothers had an internal dialogue quite like the one I have throughout the day. My internal dialogue goes something like this:

"Is salmon twice a week too much from a mercury standpoint? Probably the benefits of eating salmon outweigh any risk from mercury exposure. Now that they aren't drinking formula, I really need to focus on making sure they are getting enough Omega 3 fatty acids. Hmm, are the girls getting too much of their protein from animal sources? We should really eat more beans and legumes. Maybe they eating too much cheese and other dairy. Are they eating too much wheat? I should make quinoa for dinner so they are exposed to grains other than oats and wheat. Etc. Etc."

Am I a nutcase or what?

Anyways, the girls seem to be developing a discriminating palette, and are turning their noses up a single ingredient foods these days. They don't like plain steamed carrots - they want their carrots seasoned with a little rosemary, olive oil and baked until caramelized. I imagine they'll start asking for a little truffle oil on their mac and cheese when they get a little better at the whole talking thing.

No comments: