Monday, November 24, 2008

One month old

This time last month, I was lying in a hospital bed with inflatable leg stockings on and just starting to be able to feel my toes and holding the only thing I had from the girls - two cards with their birth weights and measurements on it. The girls were in the Level 3 NICU being evaluated and I had only seen them for a brief moment in the OR before they were whisked away. I didn't see them until 14 hours later when an angelic nurse named Susie helped me into a wheel chair and rolled me down to the NICU catheter, IV and all. Thinking about the whole thing still makes me very sad. I know it doesn't really matter how the girls got here, it only matters that they are home with us now and we're all healthy and happy. Somehow, though, I still feel kind of cheated out of the whole birth experience. I don't think I'll ever be able to watch "The Baby Story" on TLC again as it just reminds me of what I missed out on...

In happier news, I took the girls out this morning solo for the first time. It was very exciting to go to the tire store, a quilting store, and a furniture store. The girls do attract a lot of attention - the bright pink car seats and the double long stroller doesn't help. They did awesome - they slept through the whole thing, even when I was struggling with figuring out the stroller on my own.

I forgot to post weights last week - as of Thursday last week, Maya weighed 6lb6oz and Kate weighed 6lb. They are gaining about an ounce a day - so, if all goes okay, Maya should be at 7lb by the end of the week. They are now in newborn diapers instead of premie diapers and are fitting into their little newborn outfits much better. It's so nice to pick them up and actually feel their weight - when they were first born they were so light that when we picked them up, it didn't feel like there was anything inside the bundle of blankets and clothes.

2 comments:

Corinna said...

You and the girls look great! They are such champs with the whole eating and weight gain thing. It took Allison almost a month to get back to her birth weight. Since she was starving the first week, unbeknownst to us, then throwing up 2/3 of her intake for the next 3 months, her progress was on the slow side....

Twin Mama said...

Hi Corinna, Yeah, the girls take after me on the eating front, I guess. Of course, it helped that they were feed mainly by a feeding tube for the first two weeks. Luckily, they've never really had spit up issues.

Oh, thanks for the advice on getting our own scale. Our pediatrician actually is lending us a spare scale for a month or two, so we can do weight checks whenever we want.