Thursday, February 19, 2009

Double the guilt

It's been a rough few days. Thank goodness for grandparents is all Kate and Maya probably have to say (well, Maya probably says "ah gee gee" and Kate probably says "Hey!", but that's another story). Today my parents babysat all day and I went skiing for most of the day with Alice. It was a beautiful day to be on the slopes and the snow was great.

It's been rough, though, since Josh has been working 13+ hour days - mostly on site. So, when my parents aren't around, I am the only one taking care of the babies all day. During the day it's okay most of the time, but come around 5:30 or 6 PM, it gets really difficult.

I've been trying to feed the babies individually one at a time so each one gets their own special cuddling/feeding time, but it can get really hairy if one gets fussy/screamy while the other one is eating. This evening I fed Maya first while Kate was trying to be patient hanging out underneath her jungle gym. Then, I put Maya down and tried to feed Kate. Kate was blissed out eating her bottle and staring at me when Maya went totally ballistic. I tried bouncing Maya in her chair and giving her a binky, but the only thing she wanted was to be held. I don't blame her - babies should be able to have a nice leisurely meal and then get cuddled, not fed and then quickly burped and immediately put down. So, I had to stop feeding Kate in order to pick up Maya and put her on my shoulder and then try to resume feeding Kate. Of course, poor Kate lost it because her mealtime was interrupted and started screaming hysterically, too. We all ended up crying together - Maya and Kate (I guess) out of frustration, and me out of the guilt for not being able to give them what they need and deserve. I don't want to go back to tandem feeding because that was really stressful and didn't always work, either - so, I'm not sure what to do with feedings. Occassionally I'll give one a Poodee while cuddle the other one, but this seems so far from how I think (and what the experts say) babies should be feed.

Oh well. In any case, here's Alice with an apres-ski baby cuddle.

No comments: