Sunday, July 26, 2009

Canadian Acadians

Today we drove out to the coast of Cape Breton Island and a bit into the Cape Breton National Park on the Cabot Trail. The sun was shining and, wow, the Cabot Trail is spectacular. It was hard to drive around the national park and see all the cool hiking trails and beaches, but not have the time to do any exploring. We'll have to come back when we have time to do more than just a drive-by.

We've discovered that French speaking Capers (people from Cape Breton Island, that is) might be the baby friendliest people on the planet. Everywhere we went today, Kate and Maya got kissed, cuddled, exclaimed over and kootchy-kooed - even more than the normal amount of attention they usually attract. I swear that not a person over 50 walked by them today without engaging us in conversation and getting all googly eyed over the babies. I actually am not very comfortable with strangers cuddling or kissing my babies, but wasn't sure how to tell the sweet old grandmothers and great grandmothers (!) who wanted to cuddle Kate or Maya that they shouldn't kiss them. So, I just let them have at the babies and I don't think they are any worse for wear.

Well, tomorrow we're heading back to Liverpool in one big day of driving. Not sure how that's going to work, but we need to head back so we can meet up with Kate and Maya's Great Grandma, aunt and cousin...

No comments: