Saturday, July 25, 2009

Cape Breton

Greetings from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia! I've wanted to visit Cape Breton since the first time we visited Nova Scotia in 2001, but on our past two trips, we never seemed to have the time to drive all the way up here (it's about a seven hour drive from Liverpool). We weren't planning on coming up here this trip either because we were worried about how Kate and Maya would feel about spending so much time in a car, but we decided we'd just give it a shot and see how it goes. I'm glad we did because Kate and Maya have been great sports and seem to be really enjoying the trip. We took two days to get here - driving for a few hours in the morning while they nap and then having lunch and walking around in the afternoon. The girls seem to be born travellers as they really enjoy seeing and experiencing new things - they seem to get bored sitting around in one place all day.

We haven't seen much of Cape Breton yet because it's been pouring for the past two days and we just arrived today, but it's supposed to clear up tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the island - it's supposed to be beautiful.

I have to say that travelling with two babies is definitely different than travelling by ourselves. If we were here on our own, we would most likely be hiking, kayaking and doing all the fun outdoor stuff there is to do here. But, with two babies, most of that stuff isn't an option, so our big adventures are going out to dinner or walking around town and looking in shops and such (and eating out at a nice restaurant with two babies is more of an adventure than anything I would have been doing if we didn't have the girls).

No comments: