Friday, December 4, 2009

Things that go "thud" in the night

In our household last night, the thud was Maya rolling off of our bed. Poor girl has been very sick with what the doctor called a "mystery virus" and has had fevers of between 103 and 104.5 with a snuffly nose. Since she's been so sick, I've been letting her sleep in bed with me both to keep an eye on her and also because she's so pathetic whimpering and crying when her fever spikes up at night. Unfortunately, Maya and I are not very experienced "co-sleepers" since the girls have slept in their cribs from the start and have rarely spent more than a few nap times in my bed. Around 3 AM last night I was trying to stay awake to keep her from rolling off the bed while she rolled and thrashed around, but got very tired and dozed off. I was awakened shortly thereafter by a loud "THUD" and then some hysterical crying. I'm not sure how she landed because it was too dark and I was too groggy to notice, but she appears to not have any permanent or even temporary damage from the fall. I made Josh move into bed after the fall to act as a human crib railing (he had been sleeping in the guest room so he could be rested for work).

Kate got a special treat today when her Grandpa came to her rescue and took her to the local "Kid's Museum" that has things like a full-size indoor jungle gym, nice books to read, and a whole room setup like a farm with toy animals, costumes, etc. Kate's been going a little stir crazy being stuck at home with her sick sister, so was very grateful to get out of the house. It was especially nice for her to get some one on one time with her Grandpa and for me to get one on one time with Maya. The dynamic is certainly different and calmer with just one baby in the house. Maya got to play with her toys without Kate stealing them and then got a nice two hour nap/cuddle with me. It makes me realize that I need to make it a priority to spend more one on one time with each kid.

Here's the little sicky convalescing in her bouncy chair with a blanket and a book...

No comments: