Sunday, December 13, 2009

Weekend Update

This weekend seemed to be all about Maya. Kate was feeling better, but mostly stayed home on Saturday to prevent spreading whatever germs she still was harboring around to the outside world. And, today she napped from 10:30 to 3:30 - I think she is just making up for the sleep she lost when she was sick.

So, while Kate was recovering and resting, Maya and I went out and had some fun adventures. Saturday morning we went to a new friend's house for a breakfast party. It was really relaxing and fun - Maya sat in a booster seat next to me and ate blueberries and eggs and impressed everyone with all her animal sounds. Then, after breakfast we all headed out to the local airport where Santa Claus was flying in to meet all the little kids. Yes, in our neck of the woods, Santa visits not on a sleigh, but in a small plane (Cessna, I think). This was quite a feat considering the airport was closed to all traffic except Santa due to blizzard and white-out conditions. (I did have a fleeting vision of hundreds of little kids being traumatized for life if Santa's Cessna skidded off the runway and he was somehow injured. Luckily Santa's pilot was very skilled and landed in snow and ice with no problems.) We skipped the photo with Santa because there was a huge line to see him and didn't want to spend an hour in line for a photo without little Kate. I'll have to find another Santa photo-op somewhere this week...


In the evening, we all went out in the blizzard with our friend, Claire, to visit "A Night in Bethlehem" at her church. This was an amazing event - they had transformed the church into a representation of Bethlehem back on the first Christmas. There was good food, dancing, dogs dressed as sheep, lots of people dressed in costumes, booths with traditional crafts, etc. Kate and Maya were really awestruck by it - I was, too! This will definitely be something that we'll want to go to every Christmas - I've never seen anything quite like it.

Today while Kate took her five hour nap, I got some cute pictures of Maya out in the snow and just toddling around the house. Maya really enjoyed sitting in (and eating) the three feet of snow we have on our deck - and being pulled around in her old infant bathtub. She thought it was hilarious when I got stuck in the snow trying to pull her around. I think I need to get a real sled instead of the bathtub.



Sorry for the long post - I guess I've been writing lots of long, boring posts these days...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.