Thursday, October 15, 2009

One year ago today?

This time last year I was already at the hospital on strict bedrest because of preeclampsia. The whole birth and post-partum experience was quite traumatic and depressing, but the hospital stay up until the delivery wasn't all that bad. In fact, I could take a few days of lying around in bed, watching TV and having people bring me food every few hours - and then taking away the dirty dishes without me having to do anything except roll them out of the way of my bed.

But then again, thinking about it again brings back memories of being woken up every day for two weeks at five am to have inept technicians take my blood in the semi-darkness with seemingly blunt needles. And memories of having to pee in a giant bucket for 24 hours at a time (at least three times). And having an amniocentisis to measure the development of the girls' lungs. And the worry of the results of my liver enzyme tests (I think that's what it was) moving close to the danger zone. And constant sharp pain in my right side which I was sure was the beginning of HELLP syndrome, but was probably just Kate kicking me in the ribs. And steriod shots, and watching my blood pressure spike to scary levels, and the constant fetal monitoring during which I couldn't move or the monitors would loose contact and the nurse would have to come back and readjust. And, don't even get me started on after the girls were born - the bedrest was a cake walk compared to that. But, besides all that - the hospital stay wasn't so bad. Really, I got a lot of napping in and watched a lot of baseball and Oprah.

No comments: